Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Safety and Comfort

I was talking to a friend yesterday about the importance of giving over control of our children. When a toddler falls, do we not run to quickly to their aide, freaking out over a small bruise or scrape? Can we not allow our children to fail in order that they may might learn better how to walk on their own? Instead of manipulating circumstances to be perfect and spotlessly safe, is it not better to give danger a little permission so that our children are offered an opportunity to grow and mature? I would rather my daughter or son enjoy the freedom of their own power and choices, knowing that I am still there to comfort and love, knowing that if there was truly a danger worth avoiding I would step into intervene (aka. electrical cord, the edge of the couch, small choking hazards etc.) 

I hope in these smalls ways I can exemplify the Father's parenting and love. Does He not love us in the mess, wait patiently for us to understand and mature and protect us in times of need or grave danger? Does He not sit with us in times of frustration and rebellion, waiting for us to reach for Him when we have finished our fighting and anger? In thinking about the Father's response towards me, I am slowly finding myself walking in more grace to react in patience and kindness to my own child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog!